By Katherine MacPherson BS, ACSM HFS & Personal Trainer at UVAC
Having a buddy to workout with will seriously improve your output in the gym. For many of us, we jump into the same comfortable routine; maybe a little cardio, few lower and upper body exercises and call it a day. But what if you were challenged harder, held accountable to a set schedule, and even tried new exercises? There would be a huge chance that you would exceed your fitness goals a lot faster!
Steps and tips to your successful buddy system:
· Finding the right buddy: It can be a challenge to find a friend or co-worker who is willing to commit to a long-term fitness schedule, but it will definitely go a long way when you do. Your buddy should also have virtually the same goals as you, that way you can put your focus on the same regimen.
· The “Chatty-Cathys”: Make sure your buddy isn’t signed-on for social hour!
· Agree to a 6-8 week program, and write down in your planner/schedule the times and days you plan to meet. Having the sessions written in your weekly planner will allow you fit in the workouts and plan ahead for them.
· Motivation and encouragement: Some days exercise will be the last thing you may want to be doing, but keep up the excitement! Don’t let either partner miss a day!
· The most effective and safest program for you: Have no idea where to start when it comes to exercising? Find accountable resources, such as a Personal Trainer (they make great buddies too!). Hiring a Personal Trainer will get you and your buddy on the right path and set a routine. The Upper Valley Aquatic Center offers group personal training at an affordable price! Check it out for yourself at www.uvac-swim/fitness.com
· Be there for your buddy! The best part about the buddy system is that you always have someone there pushing you to dig deep and keep increasing your output!
· Get Started!
For more information about the Upper Valley Aquatic Center and Personal Training, please feel free to call 802-296-2850 or visit us online at www.uvac-swim.org!