By Katherine MacPherson BS, ACSM HFS & UVAC Personal Trainer
Many clients of mine including myself find it a real challenge each week to whip out delicious and nutritious breakfasts, lunch, and dinners for ourselves and our families. Here is a tip that will make your life easier by giving you more time during the week, and a happier stomach.
THE TIP….PLAN OUT AND PREP OUT YOUR MEALS!
|Above is my Sunday Prep Out. I made all my salads, cut up fruit, separated the trail mix, and even made a chili!|
Every Sunday afternoon will find me at my dining room table doing ONE thing. Planning out my weeks’ worth of food. Here is how to do it: For starters, all you need is a little bit of free time and lots of Tupperware.
· Get two sheets of blank paper. One for your “shopping list” and the other to “list your recipes and mark where they came from” (example: Turkey Meat Balls; Paleo Cook Book, page 27)
· Choose 3-5 major dinner meals & add all the ingredients to your shopping list
· Choose your lunch themes: add ingredients to your shopping list
o veggie salads with a hard boiled egg
o Turkey slice roll-up
o Trail mix
· At your convenience go to the food store. When you return its PREP OUT TIME!
· Be ready to donate 1-2 hours of cooking/prepping… (I know that’s a long time, but this will make prep time and cook time that much faster during the week.)
· Pre-make salads (don’t forget to boil your eggs!)
· Pre wrap trail mix and other snacks into serving sizes (the easier for you to grab on the go)
· Prep out veggies for lunch and dinners by cutting them and properly storing from (the easier for you to whip out that awesome dinner!)
· BAM you’re ready for an easy week! I encourage you try this.