A Class That Can Save YOUR Life!
by Heather Szczepiorkowski
If you knew you could take a class and reduce the chance of your kids or you dying, you would take it immediately. We put on sunscreen to protect our skin from damage. We try to pick the best foods for our kids to eat – sometimes even spending a little extra for those treats they love. We do all those things for our families – to help keep them safe and be the best they can be.
It seems a bit too early, when you look out the window, to be thinking of water safety. But summer is right around the corner, and we want you and your family to be ready with timely swim lessons at the Upper Valley Aquatic Center (UVAC).
When I was growing up, before we headed out the door for school, my Mom would line us up and give each of us a teaspoon of cod-liver oil. It was gross, but it was good for us. (Check out the blog on DHA for more info about the benefits of fish oils.)
I digress a bit, but my point is that in taking good care of your family, you don’t want to forget those swim lessons -Why?
- A swimming pool is 14 times more likely than a motor vehicle to be involved in the death of a child age 4 and under.
- 70% of all preschoolers who drown are in the care of one or both parents at the time of drowning. 75% are missing for 5 minutes or less.
So in case you have not noticed, at the Upper Valley Aquatic Center (UVAC) we take water safety pretty seriously!!
At UVAC we have swim lessons for everyone in your family. Swim lessons for babies, kids and for Adults. Do you have a teenager in need of a good summer job, we also have Lifeguard certification and recertification training. And for the 11 and over child, we offer Babysitter Training. And while we are on the topic of summer safety and your family’s safety, we also offer First Aid AED/CPR training.
Why at the Upper Valley Aquatic Center? Here are just a few of the reasons why UVAC stands out!
- Warm water pool – our pool temp is an extremely comfortable 86 degrees. Maybe someone in your family has experienced the “water is too cold blues” well you won’t find that here!
- Participants are thoughtfully placed by ability into small lesson groups – so providing just the right amount of instruction at just the right time.
- 1/2 hour play time before or after the lesson – a great chance for your child to practice those newly acquired skills after the lesson or warm up before.
- We want everyone in the family in the water – so as your child is getting a swim lesson, day passes are 1/2 off for the rest of the family. Bring those extra suits and goggles along!
So say yes to swim lessons now – and of course shop for that new swimsuit if you dare!